The Factors Leading to Enlightenment - Five spiritual faculties
The four Bases of Success have to depend on the five “spiritual faculties” (indriyas), so that they can perform their functions. These faculties have to be developed so that they can have a leading function with regard to the development of the right Path. They are the following:
1. The faculty of confidence, which is saddha cetasika. This is a leader when there is confidence in awareness of the characteristics of realities that are appearing.
2. The faculty of energy, which is viriya cetasika. This is a leader when there is energy and courage that prevents one from being lazy and disheartened with regard to awareness right now. It is energy for awareness of the characteristics of realities that are appearing.
3. The faculty of mindfulness, which is sati cetasika. It is a leader that prevents forgetfulness, it is mindful of the characteristics of realities which are appearing.
4. The faculty of concentration, samadhi, which is ekaggata cetasika. It is a leader in focusing on the object that is appearing.
5. The faculty of wisdom, which is panna cetasika. It is a leader in careful consideration, investigation and study of the characteristics of the realities that appear.
19 Mar 2014
- 3 degrees of defilements
- Begin with right understanding
- Samatha vs Vipassana
- Five Path-factors
- Four Applications of Mindfulness
- Satipatthana has three meanings
- Four right efforts
- Four Bases of Success
- Five spiritual faculties
- Five balas
- Seven factors of enlightenment
- Eight Path-factors
- Five processes of reviewing