The Factors Leading to Enlightenment - Seven factors of enlightenment
When panna accompanied by sati considers the characteristics of nama and rupa over and over again, it becomes more accomplished, so that different stages of insight (vipassana nanas) can be reached. Then panna is accompanied by seven factors of enlightenment (bojjhangas). These bojihangas (factors which lead to the realization of the noble Truths) are the following:
1. The enlightenment factor of mindfulness, sati cetasika.
2. The enlightenment factor of investigation of Dhamma (dhamma- vicaya). This is panna cetasika.
3. The enlightenment factor of energy, viriya cetasika.
4. The enlightenment factor of rapture, píti cetasika.
5. The enlightenment factor of calm, passaddhi. These are the cetasikas that are calm of cetasikas (kaya-passaddhi) and calm of citta (citta-passaddhi).
6. The enlightenment factor of concentration, which is samadhi, or ekaggata cetasika.
7. The enlightenment factor of equanimity, upekkha, which is tatramajjhattata cetasika.
19 Mar 2014
- 3 degrees of defilements
- Begin with right understanding
- Samatha vs Vipassana
- Five Path-factors
- Four Applications of Mindfulness
- Satipatthana has three meanings
- Four right efforts
- Four Bases of Success
- Five spiritual faculties
- Five balas
- Seven factors of enlightenment
- Eight Path-factors
- Five processes of reviewing