Doors and Physical Bases of Citta - The purpose of the Buddha's teachings
When we study the Abhidhamma we should keep in mind the purpose of the Buddha's teachings: the eradication of defilements through the wisdom which realizes phenomena appearing through the six doors as they are. Through this method there will be an end to the cycle of birth and death. We should remember that the Abhidhamma is not a theoretical textbook but an exposition of realities appearing in daily life. We learn about nāma and rūpa; we learn about cittas which each have their own function in the sense- door process and in the mind-door process. There are sense-door processes and mind-door processes time and again, and objects are experienced during these processes of citta. If there is awareness of characteristics of nāma and rūpa when they appear, the paññā is developed which can eradicate defilements. This kind of wisdom is deeper than any kind of theoretical knowledge.
30 Sep 2012
- The object for which the holy life is lived
- Is there a method?
- The purpose of the Buddha's teachings
- Experience an object through one of the six doors
- Experience an object without any doorway
- Some cittas perform many functions through many doors
- Bases and doors have different function
- Cittas and cetasikas arise on the same base
- What is the purpose of understanding