Question: When you believe that there is no self who can do anything, does
this not lead to fatalism?
Answer: When understanding develops you see more and more the value of
knowing things as they are. You gain more confidence in the teachings and
this conditions a sense of urgency to continue to develop understanding of all
realities. There will be less inclination for laziness or for fatalism.
Question: Realities may not appear as they are in this life. Thus, one’s
confidence must be quite strong in order to continue to develop
understanding. One must be convinced that one is on the right Path.
Answer: We don't have to wait for realities to appear as they are; there can
still be confidence. There is confidence with each wholesome moment of
consciousness, for example, when we help someone else or when we study
the teachings and consider them. We can verify that confidence is a
wholesome reality. We should not immediately expect to know realities as
they are, but we can have confidence while we develop different kinds of
wholesomeness together with right understanding. We can verify that
absolute realities are not concepts. Realities such as seeing, feeling or
attachment have their own characteristics and their own functions. Their
characteristics cannot be changed; they are true for everyone. Seeing is
always seeing for everyone; we do not have to name it or label it in order to
experience it. When we have more understanding of what realities are, we
will be less deluded by concepts of people or self. We still cling to realities
and concepts, but we know that right understanding will lead to a lessening
- Clinging is an enslavement
- Would it not be better not to think?
- Why one has to learn to understand seeing and hearing?
- How can a beginner have right understanding of realities?
- Do you apply yourself to meditation?
- Is it not the self which performs deeds?
- What should one do to live according to the Buddhist teachings?
- What do you mean by understanding seeing as only a reality?
- How can one be aware of realities?
- What is visible object?