Question: I do not feel that I have a great deal of ignorance. I know
how to do my work, how to drive a car or how to cook.
Answer: We have ignorance of realities such as seeing, visible object,
hearing, sound; all the realities which can be experienced through the five
senses and through the minddoor. They appear only one at a time through
one of the six doorways. They appear only for one moment and then they
disappear. We are deluded about these fleeting realities and we take them for
the world or the self. We mix up all the six doorways and we join the different
realities together instead of realizing realities as they are, as only fleeting
elements which appear, one at a time. We think that realities can stay on.
We have ignorance and wrong view. Would you like to understand that there
is no self? Nothing belongs to you in reality.
Question: Is it not the self which performs deeds, which decides to do this
or that? Is it not the self which makes the effort to achieve the goal?
Answer: Intention is a mental reality; it arises when there are the
appropriate conditions. However, there is nobody who possesses intention. It
is the same with effort. It is a mental reality which arises because of
conditions. There is nobody who can make an effort, who possesses effort.
When one develops the Eightfold Path there is right effort; this is a factor of
the Eightfold Path. The right understanding of the Path conditions the arising
of right effort, there is nobody who can make it arise.
- Would it not be better not to think?
- Why one has to learn to understand seeing and hearing?
- How can a beginner have right understanding of realities?
- Do you apply yourself to meditation?
- What should one do to live according to the Buddhist teachings?
- What do you mean by understanding seeing as only a reality?
- How can one be aware of realities?
- What is visible object?
- What is tangible object?
- Can you explain more what realities are?